Becoming a Christian
A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. A Christian has a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, tries to obey Him in all things, and draws on His strength to help in all aspects of life.
God made us for Himself and our souls are restless until they find rest in Him. Only God can fill the void in your life. The answer to your search is surrender to Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior of your life. To become a Christian, you need to know these basic facts from the Bible:
1. God loves you. Because of God's love for all persons, he desires that you have unbroken fellowship with Him.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
"Because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved." Ephesians 2:4-5.
2. You are a sinner. All persons are sinners in that they disobey God. Sin is choosing to go your own way and do your own thing as opposed to being obedient to God.
"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity (sin) of us all." Isaiah 53:6
"As it is written: 'There is no one righteous, not even one.' " Romans 3:10
3. Sin separates you from God. Sin forms a barrier that prevents you from entering into unbroken fellowship with God, Who is holy. As an unholy sinner, you can't have fellowship with God. You are headed for a Christ-less eternity that the Bible calls hell.
"Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor His ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities (sins) have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." Isaiah 59:1-2
"...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,..." Romans 3:23
4. You can't save yourself. People often think that through their own efforts they can overcome the sin barrier between themselves and God. That isn't true. There's nothing you can do to restore the broken relationship with God. You can't earn God's salvation.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
"He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy." Titus 3:5
"Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God Who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." Romans 4:4-5
5. God sent His Son Jesus to remove the sin barrier. The death on the cross of Jesus Christ, God's Son, removed the sin barrier between you and God. Jesus died for your sins, taking your punishment on Himself. God did for you in Jesus Christ what you couldn't do for yourself.
"He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed." 1 Peter 2:24
"God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
"God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21
6. You can receive Jesus Christ through faith. Faith is trusting in what Jesus has done for you rather than trusting your own efforts to restore fellowship with God. Faith is complete reliance on Christ to put you in right relationship with God, allowing Him to live His life through you. Faith also involves repentance or genuine sorrow for sin and willingness to turn away from sin.
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6
"They replied, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...' " Acts 16:31
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." Romans 10:9-10
7. Through prayer you can trust in Jesus Christ. Admit to God that you are a sinner. Express sorrow and repentance for your sinfulness. Ask Him to forgive your sins. Surrender your life to Jesus, allowing Him to be your Savior and Lord. Thank Him for entering your life and saving your soul. Commit yourself to live for Him.
If you are willing to surrender your life to Jesus now, you may use the following prayer or a similar one using your own words:
"Dear Jesus, I believe You are the one and only Son of God. I believe You died on the cross for my sins. I believe God raised You from the dead, and You are the living Lord. I know I have sinned. I ask You to forgive me. Help me to turn from my sins and surrender to You as my Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. I want to live for You the rest of my life. Amen!"
Surrender to Christ is the beginning. After you surrender to Him, be obedient by following Christ in baptism and by uniting with a local Bible-believing church. Spend time daily in prayer and Bible study, allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to your heart and guide your life in the way of Jesus. When you do, you will find that life truly does have purpose and meaning. Tell someone about your decision for Christ!
E-mail us at LSBC2day@yahoo.com and let us know, so we can rejoice with you and pray for you!