Becoming a Christian : Believing in Jesus Christ
A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. A Christian has a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, tries to obey Him in all things, and draws on His strength to help in all aspects of life.
God made us for Himself and our souls are restless until they find rest in Him. Only God can fill the void in your life. The answer to your search is surrender to Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior of your life. To become a Christian, you need to know these basic facts from the Bible:
1. God loves you. Because of God's love for all persons, he desires that you have unbroken fellowship with Him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16 (KJV).
"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)" Ephesians 2:4-5 (KJV).
2. You are a sinner. All persons are sinners in that they disobey God. Sin is choosing to go your own way and do your own thing as opposed to being obedient to God.
"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity (sin) of us all" Isaiah 53:6 (KJV).
"As it is written: 'There is none righteous, no, not one' " Romans 3:10 (KJV).
3. Sin separates you from God. Sin forms a barrier that prevents you from entering into unbroken fellowship with God, Who is holy. As an unholy sinner, you can't have fellowship with God. You are headed for a Christ-less eternity that the Bible calls hell.
"Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: but your iniquities (sins) have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear" Isaiah 59:1-2 (KJV).
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23 (KJV).
4. You can't save yourself. People often think that through their own efforts they can overcome the sin barrier between themselves and God. That isn't true. There's nothing you can do to restore the broken relationship with God. You can't earn God's salvation.
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast" Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV).
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost" Titus 3:5 (KJV).
"Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" Romans 4:4-5 (KJV).
5. God sent His Son Jesus to remove the sin barrier. The death on the cross of Jesus Christ, God's Son, removed the sin barrier between you and God. Jesus died for your sins, taking your punishment on Himself. God did for you in Jesus Christ what you couldn't do for yourself.
"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed" 1 Peter 2:24 (KJV).
"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8 (KJV).
"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" 2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV).
6. You can receive Jesus Christ through faith. Faith is trusting in what Jesus has done for you rather than trusting your own efforts to restore fellowship with God. Faith is complete reliance on Christ to put you in right relationship with God, allowing Him to live His life through you. Faith also involves repentance or genuine sorrow for sin and willingness to turn away from sin.
"Jesus saith unto him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life: No man cometh unto the Father, but by me" John 14:6 (KJV).
"And they said, 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,...' " Acts 16:31 (KJV).
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" Romans 10:9-10 (KJV).
7. Through prayer you can trust in Jesus Christ. Admit to God that you are a sinner. Express sorrow and repentance for your sinfulness. Ask Him to forgive your sins. Surrender your life to Jesus, allowing Him to be your Savior and Lord. Thank Him for entering your life and saving your soul. Commit yourself to live for Him.
If you are willing to surrender your life to Jesus now, you may use the following prayer or a similar one using your own words:
"Dear Jesus, I believe You are the one and only Son of God. I believe You died on the cross for my sins. I believe God raised You from the dead, and You are the living Lord. I know I have sinned. I ask You to forgive me. Help me to turn from my sins and surrender to You as my Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. I want to live for You the rest of my life. Amen!"
Surrender to Christ is the beginning. After you surrender to Him, be obedient by following Christ in baptism and by uniting with a local Bible-believing church. Spend time daily in prayer and Bible study, allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to your heart and guide your life in the way of Jesus. When you do, you will find that life truly does have purpose and meaning. Tell someone about your decision for Christ!
E-mail us at LSBC2day@yahoo.com and let us know, so we can rejoice with you and pray for you!